Sunday, August 7, 2011

Brady: A Little Guy with a Big Heart!



"Through sincere, broken-hearted prayers- we've found God’s heart for us as his children"- what beautiful words from Kelly Archuleta, who is mother to little heart warrior, Brady.


Here is Brady's story...

It was September 17, 2008...the day our lives would forever change.
I had gone to my 20 week ultrasound, and was so excited to see our baby and find out the sex. My Mom went with me to my appointment. Frank was at his own very important appointment. We had been part owners in a family business, and he was at the closing. It was a big day, in many respects, and there was a ton of excitement in the air.

The ultrasound technician can tell you the sex of your baby, but cannot discuss anything else she sees. When it was time, she asked if I was ready to hear what the sex of our baby was. "It's a Boy", she said. I had a feeling it was a boy and was just so excited to have another son. After that, I had an appointment to see my OBGYN. I have known her for years. She took me in the room and closed the door. I said, “It’s another boy, exciting huh?". At that point I remember very little of the conversation. I think I zoned out and only saw her mouth moving after she told me that something was wrong with the baby's heart. I couldn't move and I was in shock.
She came over and asked if she could pray for me. At that point, I knew things were out of my control completely. The only person that could give me hope was God.
I was then sent to see a cardiologist. He did an ultrasound and focused on the heart. It would be the start of many ultrasounds to come.

He diagnosed Brady with Pulmonary Atresia with VSD also known as Tetralogy of Fallot with Pulmonary Atresia. What that means is, there is a hole in the wall of the heart and an absent valve in the Pulmonary Artery. The doctor told us that when Brady was born, he would have to have a shunt put in at a few days old, and then a major operation at around 4-6 months. As he grew, he would have to have that valve replaced. The heart is formed by the time the baby is 8 weeks old, so the doctor told us we would not see any changes.

Brady was born on January 27, 2009, at 11:56 a.m. at St. Luke’s Hospital. He weighed 6 lbs & 13 oz, and was 19 inches in length. I got to hold him very briefly before the nurses took him to the NICU (Intensive Care for Newborns). Brady was there for a few days and then transferred by ambulance to Children's Hospital. He then had his first operation when he was 6 days old. This operation was to place the valve that would allow the blood to flow and provide oxygen. The operation was successful. We went home after 10 days in the hospital. I could not wait to get home to be with my oldest son and husband, was ready to be a family again.



Brady did great the first 7 months. He had regular doctor's appointments with the cardiologist. With each visit we had, his operation was pushed further and further away. That was a good and a bad thing in our minds. Brady had a very sheltered life. He was our "bubble boy" that rarely left the house. We were so worried about germs and Brady getting sick, that we just felt safer at home. Brady got sick for the first time around 7 months old. We ended up at the ER, and then were eventually transferred by ambulance to Children’s Hospital. He had a double ear infection which caused terrible flu-like symptoms. Brady then became dehydrated. His oxygen level dropped to the 50's and 60's (normal is 95).

After that, he had chronic ear infections for the next 4 months. He was in and out of the hospital for different things, and had a number of ambulance rides.
At 11 months old, he had tubes put in his ears. Thankfully, the tubes made a world of difference. He was able to stay healthy for his upcoming “Big Operation." As Brady grew closer to turning 1, his lips and finger tips began to turn blue. He was breathing a lot faster, and his oxygen saturation levels were in the low 70's and
60's. Brady's normal levels, at the time he was born, were in the 80's.
This meant he was outgrowing his shunt and the "Big Day" was coming.



Brady had his second operation on February 23, 2010. The operation was 10 hours long. The nurse would give us updates throughout the day. This was open heart surgery that required a bypass machine. On a bypass machine, Brady’s body temperature was greatly reduced, his heart was stopped, and his circulation/survival was dependent upon a machine. When the operation was done, the doctor came out and gave us an update. The operation was successful! The doctor said that Brady had completely outgrown his shunt, and couldn't have waited any longer.

We were finally allowed to see Brady. He was hooked up to so many machines, and had tubes coming out everywhere while sedated. It was unexpectedly disturbing. It is no exaggeration when I say, he looked like a pin cushion. I cannot fully express the feeling of seeing our baby boy, lying unconscious on the hospital bed with over 20 tubes, IVs, and a ventilator secured to his motionless body.

Through this past year, I have only allowed myself to cry a few times. I always told my husband that I had to stay strong for the family, and strong to take care of Brady. This is one of those times I let myself shed a few tears. It wasn't the tubes and machines that made me cry. It was the machine that showed Brady's oxygen level at 100%. I had never seen that number before with Brady, and I had never seen his skin look so pink.

The first part of Brady's recovery was rough. He caught RSV and some other viruses while in the hospital. He couldn't keep anything down. We eventually went home, but Brady had to be on oxygen. Within two weeks of his operation, he really started to come around, and no longer needed the oxygen.

By 6 weeks post-recovery, Brady was like any other normal kid. Looking at Brady, you would never know he had such a rough start in life, that is, unless you looked under his shirt. He had more energy than any kid I know. After his heart was repaired, he was able to finally play outside for the first time. He fell in love with the outdoors, and now spends most days outside.



After going through so much with Brady, we had to re-train ourselves and try to treat Brady like a normal kid.





We could have never made it through this last year if it wasn't for all the people praying for Brady and our family. We literally had people praying all over the world for Brady for over a year. It is during difficult times like those that we get (and are still getting) closer to God. The main learning experience and joy that we can come away with in this situation is, that through sincere, broken-hearted prayers- we've found God’s heart for us as his children.

Psalm 147:3 "He heals the broken hearted and binds up their wounds.”



Thank you all for caring about our little guy with the big heart!♥
~Kelly Archuleta

No comments:

Post a Comment