Wednesday, June 5, 2013

THANK YOU!

“The only really happy people are those who have learned how to serve.” ~Rick Warren

This is a picture of Avery and our friend, Alicon Johnson, from the Blair E. Batson Heart Team when we dropped off donations this week. 


Wow! What can I say? Thank you? The words just aren't enough. About three years ago, I felt God urging me to step out of my comfort zone and do something. We had just celebrated Avery's first birthday, and it was a time of a lot of soul searching for me after all God had gotten us through in her first year. I wasn't sure when I'd find the time or if I was emotionally stable enough to put myself out there, but through faith, I followed what I felt God was urging me to do. For once in my life, I listened to the whisper. I got out of bed late one night, and I began to put this blog together when I didn't even really know anything about blogs. So many people have contacted me because it was a source of hope for them after finding out devastating news. Like me, they couldn't find anything else positive regarding their situation online (or from their doctors). This blog has not only given others support, it has given me support through the friends I've met along the way. It's shown me that I'm not alone in what I go through as a mom. It's also shown people that there can be a positive outcome in situations like ours. So many are offered the option of abortion and are told that their baby's circumstance may not be "compatible with life." I am hopeful that the stories shared here (whether life or death outcomes) show that every life has a purpose and their child deserves life, no matter how long or brief. I've often wondered if people grow tired of hearing Avery's story, I even worried people might think I am something I'm not- anything other than a normal person who has made lots of mistakes in my life. This feeling inside of me reminds me that telling about Avery while giving God the credit...it's what I promised in my prayers before she was ever born. I've had the opportunity to share about Avery in two area magazines, on a local television show, at a charity event, on local radio stations during the Batson Radiothon, in front of two large church congregations, and online. I am a person who (believe it or not) is scared to death of public speaking among anyone other than small children! I even waited until right before I graduated from college to take my speech class! If you really know me, you understand my shy and nervous tendencies. The only one of those things I ever sought to do was one of the magazine articles, so I know that God was in the middle of the rest, placing me in those situations! I believe he gives us all a story to tell, and if it helps even one person have a little hope, I am completely satisfied with that.
A short time after beginning the blog, I continued to hear that whisper from God, and I asked if there was a need at our local children's hospital, Blair E. Batson. When the response was for heart pillows, I answered, "yes," even though I didn't sew and had no idea how it would be possible to carry out the task. I hate asking for help, and I hate asking people to do things, but I did. The response? Well, let's just say it's been amazing. Judy Busby of Fabs and More has always kept us supplied with material and stuffing without making a profit. Between my mom and several other sweet ladies listed below, the pillows have always gotten done, and the heart kids at Batson have been able to hold soft heart pillows through their tough recovery in PICU. Others around the country facing medical difficulties have also received heart pillows and CHH applique pillows at times. Because of the enormous generosity of  my Pearl Upper Elementary students and staff, I've been able to donate funds for the Batson Heart Fund as well. This year? They gave so much that I donated almost $1000 AND am able to fund heart pillows for a little over a year! Because of them and people like Barbara Willingham and her son, Eddie, who created bracelets and necklaces to sell for CHH in Willingham's, I've even had the ability to send smaller donations to people who were traveling for medical help or surgeries. Kim Varner of Thirty One has donated proceeds for materials through a CHH sale. Just recently, Rebecca Corley of Usborne Books donated her personal proceeds from a CHH sale, and I was able to give free children's books and $72 worth of meal cards to Batson. Honestly, these things happened with people coming to me and offering, so I didn't even have to ask!
God has brought lots of us together doing small things for a bigger cause. God has done this, and he did it so he might be glorified. A quote from Mother Teresa says, "In life we cannot always do great things, but we can do small things with great love." I believe the small things we've been doing have been done with great love, and I am so appreciative of the many moments I've been blessed by others and God because of this ministry. I can only imagine the glimpses of hope and comfort so many people have now felt because of it, and it makes my heart glad to think they may have realized that God loves them in the moments they most needed to see it. I was told once that a person felt really down and alone in the PICU, and they got a package with a note from me. They all of the sudden felt that someone cared. What did the note say? The note said, "God loves you, and his people are praying for you." To me, that note in that moment was no coincidence. Every good thing comes from him, and every good thing you do reflects him to others.

All that being said, THANK YOU! THANK YOU for you prayers, your love, your support, and more importantly- your time!

Laura Beauman
Jake Bell 
Linda Turner
Judy Simmons
Barbara Willingham (and her son, Eddie) of Willingham's in Downtown Vicksburg
Judy Busby of Fabs and More in Downtown Vicksburg
Carolyn Fisackerly-Justice
Brenda Stokes
Becky Peterman
Laura Wilson
Lacey Martin 
Rebecca Corley of Usborne Books
Kim Varner of Thirty One
Pearl Upper Elementary staff and students


AND 



THANK YOU to each and every person who has ever bought a shirt or item to help us, donated materials, prayed for someone as we've requested, shared the blog with someone, stuffed a pillow, or done anything else regarding Cross Healed Hearts!! 






No comments:

Post a Comment